Thursday, December 23, 2010

Texas

What a great state! Every one says, Hello and Y'all.
Jana was good enough to receive me early at her mom's home. We had some good eats...... but, that can't be helped if you are with Jana. We got to get our hands dirty and planted some pansies. It is hard to believe we were outside planting flowers in the ground in late December!

Went camping up at Mineral Wells State Park. Plenty of trails to explore and a lake with several side ponds. Last night, I was treated to a lovely moon, a nearby coyote serenade, a barred owl song and a light breeze rattling the dried oak leaves. This morning, my wake-up alarm was a deer snorting at me, a male cardinal having it out with his reflection in my truck's side-view mirrors, and beautiful, low fly-by from a turkey vulture. Went hiking and bushwhacking. Black and turkey vultures abound, flying low enough you can hear their wings whispering through the air. Well, the Black vultures make more of a flappied-flap through the air. Ate some white oak acorns and some prickly pear fruit. Only had 3 spins in me after devouring the first one, but the next one, i improved my technique and didn't get any! Raccoons must be plentiful here, because there were about as many raccoon tracks as people. Coyote scats was a close second. Lovely day.

My cameras batteries were dead, so sorry no picture this time.