Tuesday, January 18, 2011

California Reds




Besides olive trees, there is also a small herd of California Red sheep at Casa Rosa. They are a cross between a wool sheep and a meat sheep. They have a long Romanesque face bathed in a warm rusty red. The breeding of the ewes is mostly complete for the season and last years lambs are getting close to market size. Before the ewes lamb for this year, they will be shorn. Their fleece are a combination of wool and hair. To me, they all look like big puff balls of wool on little skinny legs. Currently they are mostly eating alfalfa cut from on the farm. The new pasture fence is almost complete where they will be moved to graze for the rest of the year.
Through my travels, every once and a while i pick up some new little item that i find very useful to me. Today, i learned about a new tool sharpener! It has been kind of one of my own personal quest to find the ulimate tool sharpener. This tool by Corona is fantastic! It is small and can put a very nice edge on your blades in a matter of seconds. I am just going to have to remember to keep count of my fingers after sharping my clippers .