Thursday, January 13, 2011

Olive Trellising and Pruning

It is almost time for lunch and my eyes are getting to the point where they are so tired that it feels like they are going to cross at any moment. I have been looking at way too many olive trees. This may sound like bad news, but actually it is good. At this point, i have given up looking so hard and analysing every single tree. My eyes are tired enough that i have to look for the over all shape and rarely focus on the detail. By the time i leave for lunch, i have completed 1/2 a rows. After lunch, something has shifted in the way I "see" the trees. I complete 2 row in less time than it took me to do 1/2 a row this morning. Now, each tree that I step up to, i can almost instantly tell if some thing needs to be changed or to just let it be. The picture above is an example of instantly knowing something is amiss. The photo below is after a few minor adjustments. Tada! I am hoping this knowledge that i have gained in olive tree trimming can transfer to other tree....... olives tree don't like PA weather.